Wednesday, February 27, 2013

A Splurge

A shopper I am not.
Groceries, I buy lots of groceries. Toilet paper, too, and occasionally a pair of pointe shoes. There is a great (read "cheap") Salvation Army-type place nearby that we check periodically. We have been blessed with many, wonderful, much appreciated hand-me-downs.
But new clothes? On impulse? Just for fun? At a regular store? At full price?
I don't do it.
But today I did.
I love these shirts.
We happened upon them while on an errand for something else. They are cute.  And nice colors. They fit nicely. Keegan is very into sportswear right now and wears exercise type clothes pretty much every day, so I know she will get a lot of use out of hers. They are made by Under Armor (without the little symbol,) so I know the quality is good.
But none of those reasons are why I bought them.
What I really loved were these things -
1) Some players in the NBA requested something along these lines. That is why the company first made them. A pretty cool way for pro athletes to act.
2) There are so many clothing items that I would not want or allow my girls to wear. I am happy to send the message that modest, positive clothes are going to make more profit than skimpy, inappropriate items..
3) This is a big one for me - Ordinarily I'm not a fan of little sayings on shirts, but I love the message, the truth, printed on these. Girls are constantly bombarded with images and messages telling them they need to look a certain way - that they are not skinny enough, pretty enough, tan enough, whatever enough - that they just don't measure up. I love for that message to be countered with the truth. No preaching, no lectures, just the flat out truth, right there to be seen. That each one IS already enough, that she is fearfully and wonderfully made. To have this on athletic shirts seems especially appropriate.
It struck something in me and I was happy to pay full price for this purchase. Keegan and Kelsey reaped the benefits, got to choose a color, and were very happy, too. I'm sure the company was happy to have the dollars. Win-win-win, I'd say :). 

No comments:

Post a Comment